alexander aslukoff

Posts relating to family, friends , shipmates and the Genealogy of the Hull Fishing Families
ASLO97

alexander aslukoff

Postby ASLO97 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:20 am

Hi
I am a new member and I have notice that there is an Aslukoff listed under Hull Fishing Families on this site.
My wife was born in Hull and her great-grandfather is Alexander Aslukoff. Alexander was born in 1850 in Riga. At that time Riga was a part of the Tzarist Russian Empire. Alexander married in Hull in 1875 and became a naturalised British citizen in 1887. He skippered many Hull trawlers during his career mainly for Hull-based companies. Many records of his sea-going career are obtainable online from Hull History Centre. He also captained the ill-fated F V Rhombus that ran aground off of Flamborough head in 1889. Alexander is not recorded as skippering any vessels after 1900. He died in September 1905 in Hull and according to his death certificate he died at the age of 54 of a lung hemmorrage. Until recently, it was thought that he died whilst at sea because there are no records of his burial or obituary notices in the Hull Daily Mail. Alexander was a founder member of Lawson and Aslukoff fish merchants of Hull. The company later became Lawson and Ashton. Alexander's son John Henry Aslukoff ran the business with his elder brother William Constantine Aslukoff. John Henry Aslukoff was also employed as church warden of St Bartholomew's Church sometime after the Russian Outrage. The Aslukoff's changed their name to Ashton sometime during WW1 and Alexander's eldest son William Constantine Ashton (as he was now known) served in the Royal Marines. William Constantine Ashton died in 1949 and the control of the business was handed to his sons William (Bill) Ashton, Wilfred Head Ashton and Ronald (Ronnie) Ashton. Lawson and Ashton ceased trading during the 1980's and was absorbed by the Ross Group. If any members have any information about the Aslukoff/Ashton or Lawson and Ashton fish merchants that they would like to share, I would be very grateful for their help.
Many thanks
ASLO97

Return to “HULL FISHING FAMILIES”