MYSTERIES OF LOST TRAWLERMEN

Posts relating to family, friends , shipmates and the Genealogy of the Hull Fishing Families
hulltrawler
Site Admin

MYSTERIES OF LOST TRAWLERMEN

Postby hulltrawler » Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:40 pm

Moved from old by poster : CUEBALL44
I have often wondered what really happened to some of the trawler men who vanished without trace, ''Gordon (matey) foster, Barrie Atkinson, Colin Rudd. That is just three, does anyone remember any other lads who seem to have just vanished, the deck crowd you could more or less guess what happened, but when it was engineers or cooks it just made you wonder. 'cueball44' (Winny Hawker).

hulltrawler
Site Admin

Re: MYSTERIES OF LOST TRAWLERMEN

Postby hulltrawler » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:53 pm

Hi Win,
I don`t know wether it was a case of these poor souls just falling fowl of rough weather, missed footing ect. I would think that sometime over the past century there are those that have had a help in hand.
There are many reported cases of suicide amongst trawlermen / Fisher Boys especially in the smack days, young lads having nowhere to turn when they were been abused and maltreated by other crewmen and even skippers in some cases.
In one case the lad just walked down the deck and jumped off the end, and of course there was the Murder of William Papper by skipper Otto Brand who`s death was reported as been lost overboard, which later turned out to be a cover up for murder and Brand was hanged at armley Jail for his offences. It had only been two years previous to this that deaths at sea did not need reporting at all. in 1880 The board of trade laws were changed, where previously the only act that needed to be reported was loss or damage to a vessel or its equipment. Untill the law changed in 1880 if a young boy was lost ( Drawing water from the sea with a bucket, which would be attached to the arm by rope, so as not to lose it overboard, when the vessel was moving, due to the strength of the running tide, this often dragged the bucket and boy overboard ). it was therefore only neccesary to report the loss of the bucket to the board of trade, and not the loss of the boy. Even after the change in the laws, once a loss of life at sea was reported there was little follow up action and had Otto Brand not fell out with his crew a few months later, his crime could possibly have never been brought to light, as I am sure many have not. There are about 9 documented cases of murder aboard Hull vessels I have found so far, there are a number of suicides of all ranks, and of course the many hundreds of listings of the lost overboard.
Article I have just uploaded
http://www.hulltrawler.net/News/news-ill-treatment.html

foster1955

Postby foster1955 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:05 am

Hi winny gordon (matey) foster is my dad,he vanished from the loch leven in 58 in the white sea i was only three at the time,all ive ever been told about him is stories,and they all differed from ''he was a horrid nasty person'' to he was a very quiet person,but could be extremly violent in given circumstances,im 58 and i still have no idea what he was like as a person,or if he was tall, short,fat,or thin,ive never even seen a picture of him and dont suppose i ever will now,maybe you could tell me what you knew of him....tc.

powdy

Postby powdy » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:45 am

Hi, regarding the myteries of lost trawlermen,

I know you and many others may have seemed to wonder how cooks or engineers were lost at sea considering they worked in the galley or down the engine room, but there would have been times when a man could fall overboard or end up overboard, for whatever reason that may have been, and he wouldnt have been missed for maybe several hours.
During the run out to the fishing grounds and back, and during periods of steaming whilst out there to find fish, which could be hours and hours or even a couple of days, a limited amount of the crew were usually on watch so possibly some-one could have gone on deck for a bit of fresh air and maybe lost his footing especially in rough weather or when theres large swells, it wouldnt be that difficult for someone to go over.
Illness could have played a part as well especially something sudden.
And i guess alcohol could and probably did play a part in some circumstances. Usually when the bond was issued whilst at sea, thered be the occasional drinking session especially if your steaming for a good few hours and some of the crew, obviously those not on watch, got pretty drunk, so maybe things like that could have played a part, there could have been many reasons but one thing for sure is the rough weather would have been the biggest peril.

I guess maybe it would also have been very easy for someone to have thrown somebody else overboard and probably get away with it, especially many many years ago when life at sea was quiet harsh, and also cruel in some respects, especially for the novices so to speak and of course the lower end of the crew, the boys, as thats all many of them still were. Abuse did happen at sea, mainly to the young boys, they would be told theyd be thrown overboard if they didnt do what was wanted of them so to speak. Suicide would have been an option rather than the abuse.

Regards, John.
POWDY

scrapmetal

Postby scrapmetal » Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:58 am

As You All know im new here and have been going over all the old posts and noticed my uncles name is mentioned in this thread. Colin Rudd lost at sea in 1991, it fills my heart with glee that he has been remembered by members of this site. He was living with my mum when he went missing moving in just after my dad died, something mum never got over she passed on a few moths later. Colin Rudd now there was a character talk about a three day millionaire well he was a one day millionaire spread his money round like confetti but not always in the right direction, no angel but a real trawler man we miss him everyday and yes we would loved to know what happened but its something we will have to live with. RIP COL

powdy

Postby powdy » Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:59 pm

Hi,
I remember the name Rudd from when i was a kid. Im pretty sure i was at West Dock Ave School with one of the Rudds, i think he was called Tony but im not sure, we was pals as kids. Im 56 so he,ll be around the same age as me.
Glad some of the posts are of interest to you. As an ex Hessle Roader and ex Fisherman the Fishing Industry played a big part in the community and in many peoples lives on a daily basis.
Everybody felt the loss when Trawlermen went missing, even as a lad i understood the tradgedy and sadness it brought to people.
This site will hopefully keep alive some of the memories of the way life was, and the strong friendships and family togetherness it brought to many people not to mention the many hardships too.
One thing for certain, the many trawlermen that sadly lost their lifes will never be forgotten.

Regards, Powdy.
POWDY

Return to “HULL FISHING FAMILIES”