MOVED FROM OLD FORUM

A place to yarn with or about old shipmates,
hulltrawler
Site Admin

MOVED FROM OLD FORUM

Postby hulltrawler » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:06 pm

RAY COLES / Aug 06, 2010, 21:59:00 PM STELLA CANOPUS
A messdeck yarn that actually happend in the messdeck.
I think it was in the Stella Canopus,we where in the messdeck having dinner Bob (smudge) Smith was sat alongside of me and Reg Sharp was sat opposite me, smudge said pass the salt Colesy and with that all hell broke loose. Reg my brother pulled Smudge out of his seat on to the messdeck table and beat ten bells of sh*t out of him. When it was all over I said to Reg why did you do that, he said I was just going to ask for the salt? if Smudge could have read minds he would have saved himself a battering.

hulltrawler
Site Admin

MIKE KELLY Jan 15, 2011

Postby hulltrawler » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:12 pm

Hi Ray ,gotta tell yer this
we were laid mending in the DBFINN and she dipped her rail into the watter and knocked me on my ass, there I was up to my arm pits in water, so I goes to get some dry gear on, when i came back over the boat deck theres the skipper ROY BEAMISH sat on his ass playing the the mouth organ, had to laugh about it and still do 30 years later :D :evil: :lol:

hulltrawler
Site Admin

RAY COLES Jan 15, 2011

Postby hulltrawler » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:15 pm

Something similar Mick.
It was the Southella,The Skipper was Stan Mason from Fleetwood, me our Mick and Ray Johno were aft restringing a set of bobbins and we were steaming she took a sea and we were swilling about the deck with these bobbings crashing about I clamberd on to the casing and ran on the bridge and called him a little fat bar steward ? I did not get the sack but he was little and he was fat, but I don't know about the last part of the statement.

hulltrawler
Site Admin

SNACKER Jan 17, 2011

Postby hulltrawler » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:17 pm

Hi
Sailed in the Arctic Cavalier 1969 fishing off Bear Island as the Codend came to the surface we heard a shotgun go off from the bridge it was the skipper Clarry Gill shooting the odd cod or haddock that had got through the net shouting out ;if I can,t catch em no b------ else will: and then boom with is shotgun and blow em out the water. 1 trip was enough for me with this loon also sailed in her sister ship for 12 months the Corsair she was alot better sea ship then the Cavalier

hulltrawler
Site Admin

RAY COLES Jan 17, 2011

Postby hulltrawler » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:19 pm

No one outside of the Fishing Industry would belive some of the nutters we had to work under, but the more yarns we put on the site at least we can let people know some of the things we had to put up with. Some funny and some not so bloody funny.

hulltrawler
Site Admin

SNACKER

Postby hulltrawler » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:20 pm

Arctic Galliard shooting the gear Skipper Bob Gray shouts down to the mate Charlie Pitts ;Charlie the pork lines fouled around the belly; no its not replies the mate ,Charlie I,m telling you its fouled in the bellys I can see it from up here on the bridge Well I,m telling you its not replies the mate because I can see it and I,m higher than you because you know why I,m higher than you because I,m God now p--- off and leave me to it, as it turns out the mate was right like you say there was some nutters but they were the ones that made the big money

hulltrawler
Site Admin

RAY COLES

Postby hulltrawler » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:25 pm

Stella Carina 1962.
Some of the crew I remember Rod Coles Morty Green Nabby Kemp Dennis Payne,my memory fails me on the rest.
We were fishing at Bear Island (SVALBARD) and we dropped on to a bit of fish ,two or three bags and the washer went forward, and we were getting close to being full up but we were running out of ice so the Skipper Fred Myers had the great idea to steam into the pack ice and lasso some ice floes to finish the trip of so this we did, all hands on the whaleback with the jilson wire formed into a lasso so with a great deal of laughing and prating about we managed to lasso enough growlers (icebergs ) to finish of the trip, but that still left the job of breaking up this ice and to look at it it looked like huge diamonds. The job of breaking up this granite like ice fell to the deckie learner, yes of course that was me. When we landed the fish we had packed away with the ice from the growlers was condemned, so it was a lot of hard work for nothing, but it is an experience I have never forgotten

Return to “MESS DECK YARNS / STORIES”