Ron Smith

Posts relating to family, friends , shipmates and the Genealogy of the Hull Fishing Families
TonySmith

Ron Smith

Postby TonySmith » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:18 am

Hi there,

I'm trying to find more information about my father, Ron Smith, who was a skipper in the early 1960s. I know he sailed for Lord Line/Boyd Line towards the end of his fishing career (he joined the prison service in 1964). I believe he also sailed for Hellyer Bros. The only trawler I'm certain he sailed on was the Arctic Ranger, but I'm not sure when this was.

He was born on Hessle Road (Myrtle Grove, Brighton Street) and his parents were Stanley and Emily Smith (nee Inglis). He was married to Beatrice Mary Smith (nee Lewis), and until he joined the prison service we lived at 64 Allderidge Avenue, Chanterlands Avenue. We then moved to Lincoln where he was based at Lincoln Prison for two years before returning to Hull on his father's death.

I had quite a few B&W photos of him at sea, but sadly these seem to have disappeared over the years.

Today, 14 October 2014, would have been his 90th birthday. Sadly he died of cancer aged 72.

If anyone has additional information I would be very grateful - especially if there are any photos of him during his trips.

Many thanks

Tony Smith

Ray coles

Re: Ron Smith

Postby Ray coles » Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:47 pm

Tony If you ring Trinity House Hull and give Name and Date of Birth they should be able to help you with Fishing Records.
Ray Coles

Return to “HULL FISHING FAMILIES”