FIRST TRIP AS A GALLEY BOY OR DECKIE LEARNER.

A place to yarn with or about old shipmates,
powdy

FIRST TRIP AS A GALLEY BOY OR DECKIE LEARNER.

Postby powdy » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:41 am

For me in particular it meant lots of things, i had always wanted to go to sea on trawlers.
It was something i'd yearned for from being a young lad.
I vividly remember everything, i was absolutely thrilled and excited and couldnt wait to go.
My first trip was as a galleyboy on the "Brucella".

Has anyone got any memories or stories of their first trip to sea, it was usually a memorable one for any first trip deckie learner or galleyboy. It was hard work wether on deck or in the galley, and you was on the lowest wages, i cant remember what it was but it wasnt much, you relied on backhanders off the crew when you settled to top your money up but you had to earn the crews respect and work hard and they would look after you.

You more or less sailed out the docks a boy and came back a man so to speak, just in that one trip.
I can truly say my first trip was an eye-opener.

Powdy.
POWDY

hulltrawler
Site Admin

Re: FIRST TRIP AS A GALLEY BOY OR DECKIE LEARNER.

Postby hulltrawler » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:28 am

Hi John, I cannot imagine the conditions and the emotions of that first ever trip as a boy, as you will know fishing was not for everyone and I wonder how many walked off the dock never to return after that first trip. I know some Miners from Doncaster who came to Hull to go fishing, one stepped on the vessel and immediately stepped off again, the others soon gave up also, these were hardened men used to hard work and conditions but the life of a Hull Trawlerman was not for them. You can also imagine the terrible conditions on the smacks of the mid 19th centuary, when young boys of 9 years of age were apprenticed for several years at a time, many been ill treated by the crew and the list of lost trawlermen is full of the boys that were washed overboard or drowned boarding fish. Having spoken to many fishermen, on looking back some would say that they would not go through that again if they had a choice, whilst others regard it as the best times of their lives. People who have not lived or experienced the communities of those like the Fishing community or the minning communities and that of the forces, would not understand the bonds and friendships and the overall willingness to look after your own. The times when you could leave your doors open, and no matter how little people had, others in need were welcome to it. Also as a young lad in Hull in the 60`s myself I remember the many ( Adopted Aunties ) I had down our street, mam would say go see auntie joan or auntie so and so. I only mentioned to my wife yesterday our next door neighbour had a car the only one in our street and she once took me and my brother out to Beverley Westward for a picnic, I thought I had been on Holiday and that day stays with me.

regards chris.

powdy

Postby powdy » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:52 pm

Hi Chris,
Thank you for your reply.
Yes that first trip as a lad was probably an eye opener for most deckie learners or galley boys. I know conditions were not harsh when i first went to sea but i could imagine in years gone by things would have been really hard. For me in particular i took it in my stride so to speak, as its what id wanted to do from being as young as i can remember. It was hard work and your right it wasnt for everyone and i think that first trip usually made most lads minds up as to wether they wanted to go back to sea again.
The bonds and friendships in the fishing community of Hull were strong and as you said people who hadnt lived or experienced this didnt understand. I remember vividly the hussle and bustle of Hessle Road and its people and it all centred round the fishing industry and the docks.
Like you i also remember the untold aunties and uncles and nannas we had in the street, they were good days and im glad i experienced some it. I know we went to Beverley Westwood too when we was kids although i was too young to remember but your right it was memorable day out for lots of people and would have been like a holiday to us.
As for me ill always treasure those days.
Regards John.
POWDY

glenelg100

Postby glenelg100 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:49 pm

Hi believe it or not my first trip was on Brucella as a galley boy early 70,s

powdy

Postby powdy » Mon May 05, 2014 2:01 am

Hi glenelg100

You must be round about the same age as me 55 ish or there abouts.
I did my first trip on Brucella as galley boy in March 1974. I did my first three trips in the galley an then went on deck as deckie learner. Ray Johno was skipper.
The cook was called Ken but i cant remember his surname. He was a good bloke he made sure i was ok and showed me the ropes and he treat me with respect. He never had to tell me off apart from once when i had to do the spuds, i started peeling the new potatoes and soon found out after a cuff round my lughole that they had to be scraped. I earnt his respect and did a good job while working with him and he gave me a decent backhander when we settled that trip.
Are you off Hessle Road, as i may know you if you are. I was brought up in South Boulevard and went to West Dock Ave Infants & Junior School.

Regards, John.
Last edited by powdy on Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
POWDY

Tinker

Postby Tinker » Wed May 21, 2014 3:39 pm

Hi All

My first Trip was Galley Boy in 1963 on the St. Giles, Skipper-Tom Sawyer, sailed to Greenland.
Broke down on the trip home and was towed into Stornaway by Marbella. What a trip that was.

Sailed on Victrix, St. Keverne, St. Elstan(Neilson), St. Gerontious(E.Johnson, Alan Blenkin, Trevor Doyle, George Ellis & many more), Somerset Maugham(Bill Brettle, Walt Collier) and DB Finn.

I lived at 56 Witty street off Liverpool St, Hessle Road, then moved to Monmouth Street, Gipsyville in late 60's and I have recently moved to Hessle.

Great days, I'll post some photo's soon.

Regards

John Morton

powdy

Postby powdy » Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:07 am

Hi john

I lived in south boulevard and was about 5 years old when you did your first trip, i wanted to go to sea even at that age.
My dad would often take me down fish dock with him and id sneaked on the docks myself lots of times.
I can clearly remember as a lad seeing some of the trawlers tied up in the dock the St. Giles, St. Gerontious, Somerset Maughan and the DB Finn and many others.
My nanna pat lived down Liverpool street almost opposite witty street her name was Pat Overton, my uncle Ray lived in that area too, and my uncle Ron and uncle Ken.
My dads name was John Powdrill i wondered wether you may have known him. My mams name was Joan Overton.
I was born in witty street dec 1958 in the house next door to collins shop on the corner. Beaumonts shop was further up witty street and Mr Windle had a shop halfway down.
Wondered if you may have known the Finleys or seymours they lived in Havelock street.

Regards, powdy.
POWDY

jwebster

Postby jwebster » Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:29 am

I did my first trip as galley boy on ross Sirius h277 [Arthur Jennings was skipper ] [ hellyer bros ltd ] the crew were great and looked after me well I was very sea sick steaming to fishing grounds but was ok when we started fishing. I only did the one trip but got lots of backhanders from the crew .then went back home; I was out of work for awhile and though I would try a gain at fishing out of Lowestoft with colne fishing comp ltd started as deck learner on rockfish and then sailed on most of there boats end up as chief engineer of st Patrick and st Philip did 15 years with them . got to know a lot of hull lads that sailed with this firm .

powdy

Postby powdy » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:14 pm

Hi,
Thanks for posting your first trip memories. Like yourself that first trip to sea was really exciting yet really scary at the same time. I was more worried about what i was supposed to do more than anything else. Unlike yourself i didnt get any sea-seasickness, but about halfway through the trip the bond was dished out and a few beers was opened while we was steaming to other fishing grounds so i had two or three tins and i was sick but ive always said it was the beer as i wasnt a drinker at all but that was the only time i was sick.
As for not being a drinker that soon changed when we landed and i went down fish dock for my back-handers the next morning. I got treat by all the crew and i jumped in a taxi and went straight in the Alexander on Hessle Road where quiet a few of the crew had gone, and that was basically it i started drinking from then on. I can hardly remember what i did for the three days i was home before i went back but i know i was pissed for most of it ha ha.

Ive up-loaded a photo of Ross Sirius its in the Home Page Gallery under POWDY - its on page 10.

Regards,

John.
Last edited by powdy on Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
POWDY

powdy

Postby powdy » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:31 pm

Hi John, ive uploaded some photos of St. Gerontius, Somerset Maughan, DB FINN and many more you might be interested in looking at. There is also one of Billy Brettle when he won the Challenge Shield. They are located on the home page under POWDY.
Regards,
John.
Tinker wrote:Hi All

My first Trip was Galley Boy in 1963 on the St. Giles, Skipper-Tom Sawyer, sailed to Greenland.
Broke down on the trip home and was towed into Stornaway by Marbella. What a trip that was.

Sailed on Victrix, St. Keverne, St. Elstan(Neilson), St. Gerontious(E.Johnson, Alan Blenkin, Trevor Doyle, George Ellis & many more), Somerset Maugham(Bill Brettle, Walt Collier) and DB Finn.

I lived at 56 Witty street off Liverpool St, Hessle Road, then moved to Monmouth Street, Gipsyville in late 60's and I have recently moved to Hessle.

Great days, I'll post some photo's soon.

Regards
John Morton
Last edited by powdy on Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
POWDY

jwebster

Postby jwebster » Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:35 pm

hi john I have not been able to find photo of ross Sirius . but thanks for post it .

powdy

Postby powdy » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:43 pm

jwebster wrote:hi john I have not been able to find photo of ross Sirius . but thanks for post it .

Photo of Ross Sirius in album - POWDY, is off line at the moment and should be back on site shortly.
Regards,
John.
POWDY

glenelg100

Postby glenelg100 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 6:03 pm

powdy wrote:Hi glenelg100

You must be round about the same age as me 55 ish or there abouts.
I did my first trip on Brucella as galley boy in March 1974. I did my first three trips in the galley an then went on deck as deckie learner. Ray Johno was skipper.
The cook was called Ken but i cant remember his surname. He was a good bloke he made sure i was ok and showed me the ropes and he treat me with respect. He never had to tell me off apart from once when i had to do the spuds, i started peeling the new potatoes and soon found out after a cuff round my lughole that they had to be scraped. I earnt his respect and did a good job while working with him and he gave me a decent backhander when we settled that trip.
Are you off Hessle Road, as i may know you if you are. I was brought up in South Boulevard and went to West Dock Ave Infants & Junior School.

Regards, John.

No I,m a Glasgow guy, 58, but had lodging in Coleman St during nautical college and trips, right at the bottom near the eagle pub.I only did one trip on Benella, then onto Westella for quite a few trips, I also think the cooks name was Ken.thin guy brill cream hair.

Return to “MESS DECK YARNS / STORIES”