MEMORIES OF HESSLE ROAD.

A place to yarn with or about old shipmates,
powdy

MEMORIES OF HESSLE ROAD.

Postby powdy » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:13 pm

BORN AND BRED.
Lots an lots of memories of the streets, the people, the shops, the smells, the whole way of life.
I hope i can put some of these memories on this site to help others to hopefully get an insight into the life and community i an many others like me were brought up in during the late 1950's to the end of the 1960's.
Im basing this on how i saw life on Hessle Rd as a young lad of about 4 or 5, 1962/1963 time.
Its only as ive grown up that i realised Hessle Road and the surrounding streets had been a community in itself, a thriving, bustling area that centred around the docks and the fishing industry. Most familys who lived in or around Hessle Road either had a direct connection to the fishing industry through family members or relatives that were either trawlermen themselves or they worked on the docks and or were part of the fish processing side of things which in itself involved many different aspects from unloading the fish off the trawlers to the actual processing procedure and beyond.
South Boulevard where we lived was one of the very few streets that were lined with trees on either side and consequently a lot wider than many others so for us as kids the street was an ideal playground. Nearly all the houses on our side of the street were large victorian houses with a small bit of garden on the front and a large rear yard that led into the back-alley.
The other side of the street consisted mainly of back to back terraces each with a small bit of front and a small yard at the back and connected by alleyways. All had outside toilets and a coal shed. The majority of houses in most other streets along Hessle Road were two up two downs that opened straight on to the street or terrace. Virtually every street had several small grocery shops, there were three in our street one being three doors from were we lived which eventually closed and was taken over by Mawyers the local baker. Most streets had a fish and chip shop either in the street or at one end of the street, and some also had either a pub or a small local club.
Virtually every street running off Bankside from the bottom of Hessle Road fly-over almost right through to the town also had some sort of works in the street or at the top of the street that was associated with the fishing industry. At the bottom of our back-yard was a small engineering firm and a fish processing factory next to that, which ran halfway up the alley. At the other end there was what was called a smoke house, a large building where fish was smoked.
Jotted along bankside were several fish processing factories, engineering works, several small shops, several pubs and numerous houses and the odd few terraces.

---(to be continued)
Last edited by powdy on Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:10 am, edited 3 times in total.
POWDY

jackspinks

Re: MEMORIES OF HESSLE ROAD.

Postby jackspinks » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:59 pm

im jack spinks 70 years young born and bred off the hassle road 11 walcot terrace walcot street fished mostly for hendricksons last ship victrix with george holland moved in 1963 to milford haven

powdy

Postby powdy » Mon May 05, 2014 1:43 am

Hi Jack, just read your post regarding walcot street.

We lived in South Boulevard, i would have only been 4 going on 5 during 1963 but you may have known my dad john powdrill or his brothers ken, fred and barry.
The streets were our playground as kids and i can clearly remember when they pulled the houses down in walcot street even at that age.
As your an ex-trawlerman and hessle-roader im sure youll have lots of memories of hessle road and the people that lived there.

Regards, John.
POWDY

Rose1

Postby Rose1 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:28 pm

Hi John, I've received your private message but can't find how to reply, I've read your posts on this site and I think you have some really interesting stories that would be extremely helpful for my dissertation. If possible could you private message me your email address so I can get back to you! Many thanks, Rose.

Return to “MESS DECK YARNS / STORIES”