INTRODUCTION

Posts relating to family, friends , shipmates and the Genealogy of the Hull Fishing Families
hulltrawler
Site Admin

INTRODUCTION

Postby hulltrawler » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:15 pm

Hi Welcome to my site and forum my name is Chris the webmaster here.
I have never been a fisherman for my sins, and only recently discovered my fishing heritage, like many by doing my family tree and as you can see by the website I have got carried away a little although recent health issues have slowed me down.
After a stroke a few years ago my memory has suffered and I forget easy spellings and such so please forgive me, not that I ever was a great scholar. My avatar image is one of my Gt Gt Gt Grandfather from Tenby in wales, the fishing Petherbridge family originated in Brixham like many and first moved to Ramsgate and to Hull around 1848. I also have Chapman, jeffery, Mason, Homan and many other fishing relatives in some way.
I am not only proud of my fishing ancestry but with the website, hope in some little way I can educate, save and promote the information I have collated to those that are interested. Along the way I have had many contributions to the site and met many new friends.
Hope you enjoy your visit

Chris.

deany2k5

Re: INTRODUCTION

Postby deany2k5 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:03 am

Hi Chris
you have done an other good site it is grate, the other one you did was good but this one is a very good up date well done
Alan
best regards Alan

deany2k5

Postby deany2k5 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:42 am

Hi Chris
just a quick question how do i put a profile picture on with my user name. i have tried but doesn't seem to work
cheers Alan
best regards Alan

hulltrawler
Site Admin

Postby hulltrawler » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:55 pm

Hi Alan
if you look at second line under the trawler picture on main page for / user control click that/ then select profile tab/ and on the left you should see change avatar.
select a pic from desk top or file and upload / you may have to resize and shrink the picture if you are trying to upload one that is too big. it shows you max size and the size of your pic.
any problems let me know

chris.

albert davis

Postby albert davis » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:14 pm

hi alan just to let you know im still around albert davis

deany2k5

Postby deany2k5 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:34 pm

hi albert
i have not been on here for a while, so i have only just got your post nice to here from you is billy still around. i have not seen any one since 1979 after fishing i have been long distance lorry driving up to 2009 now retired hope you are ok and well
best regards Alan

rikigail

Re: Fathers history

Postby rikigail » Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:33 pm

Hi my name is Gail,
My Dads name was Laurance Albert Foster, he worked on the trawlers when I was young, my brothers & sister were all born while he was away fishing, I was born in 1954 and my older brother born in 1950, we left Clifton Terrace in Hull when I was approx 8 y.o. I would love to find out more about the trawlers he sailed on, I live in Perth Australia so am finding it a bit difficult getting this information, your site was recommended to me and would be very grateful if you could advise me were I might be able to get any information.

Kind Regards

Gail Harris

Ray coles

Postby Ray coles » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:42 pm

Hi Gail
If you have your dad's national insurance Number you can get his records from the Fishermans Mission in Hull they have just moved but I will get their new address and let you know.
Regards.
Ray Coles
Ray Coles

rikigail

Re info on Laurance Albert Foster

Postby rikigail » Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:38 pm

Hi Ray, I dont have Dads insurance No. he passed away some years ago and I now live in Australia, but no worries, thanks for replying.

Kind regards

Gail Harris (was Foster)

Ray coles

Postby Ray coles » Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:46 pm

Hi Gail.
I will make some enquiries at the Mission and I will let you know what I find.
Regards Ray
Ray Coles

Ray coles

Postby Ray coles » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:55 pm

Hi Gail.
I have been making some enquiries and the records are held by Trinity House and if you can give me your dads date of birth and an address they will look for his records,they also told me that the records need to be collected and there is a £5 fee and they do not accept credit cards and they do not post them.
If you have a relative in Hull that can act for you and pick up the record that will be ok,If not I would be willing to act for you.
Good look in your quest
Ray Coles
Ray Coles

boyddescendant

Re: new user

Postby boyddescendant » Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:11 pm

Hi everyone
I have been working on my family history and my mothers side is Boyd. I have been searching the Hull City Archives and found lots of Boyds on various vessels and wondered if the information would be of any use to you?

I also have a census return which show the vessel James Clay which i can find no information on. Can anyone help

I wuld also be grateful for any other Boyd family info.

thanks

Ian

rikigail

Postby rikigail » Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:20 pm

Ray coles wrote:Hi Gail.
I have been making some enquiries and the records are held by Trinity House and if you can give me your dads date of birth and an address they will look for his records,they also told me that the records need to be collected and there is a £5 fee and they do not accept credit cards and they do not post them.
If you have a relative in Hull that can act for you and pick up the record that will be ok,If not I would be willing to act for you.
Good look in your quest
Ray Coles

Hi Ray,

Thank you so much for your help, I have a sister in Hull I will ask her if she would go to Trinity House for me, dont know if I can rely on her though, so I may be back in touch with you. Thanks again, my email address is rikigail@bigpond.com.au. I am on the Hull the good old days site, which I love.

Kind regards

Gail Harris (Foster)

George Brewer

Postby George Brewer » Tue May 07, 2013 11:01 pm

Could you please tell me were I could find crew members names on Snibbies that sailed out of Hull 1960/70 Thank You

Littlescouse

Postby Littlescouse » Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:26 pm

Chris
Fantastic site.
I fished out of Hull from 1974 to 1980 as a trainee/2nd Engineer with B.U.T
I've seen a couple of names on here I'd like to contact but with me being new to the site I can't.
I was know as 'Little Scouse'.I was a five foot five inch tall Liverpudlian fishing from Hull.
Great times,good men,hearts of gold.Absolute characters.
Do it all again tomorrow
God Bless
George Anderson

Franksgirl

Postby Franksgirl » Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:27 pm

Hi I am looking for information on the Rochester which hit a mine off spurn point with only one survivor, any ideas? The survivor was named Frank East (Bunk). I Have seen The piece on him & Charles Vine on this site, but wanted more information on the Rochester if possible. Regards

scrapmetal

Postby scrapmetal » Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:41 pm

Hi All my name is Terry originally from hull, i haven't been involved with the fishing industry in Hull other than been thrown on board returning trawlers at the dock gates when meeting my uncles back from sea. My granddad was a taxi driver who would meet returning fishermen and drive them round all week until they went back to sea or there money ran out. I have many memory's of being on board many trawlers in the early 70s either before sailing or meeting them in. Unfortunately one of my uncles was lost overboard in 1991 so haven't kept abreast of what going on in the industry such that it is.

powdy

Postby powdy » Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:32 am

Hi Terry,
Yes most fishermen had their own particular taxi driver, he would be there to meet them in and run them about where-ever they wanted to go, most taxi drivers would check the sailing times and would be on the doorstep to pick them back up again when the trawler was ready to sail. The taxi drivers always got a good treat off the fishermen and usually a fish parcel as well.
Taxi-ing would have been a good earner in them days, they was always busy, i remember as a kid seeing lots of taxis on fish dock picking fishermen up and dropping them off.
It would be interesting to know your grandads name and wether he was from the Hessle Rd area.

Regards, Powdy
POWDY

scrapmetal

Postby scrapmetal » Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:21 am

Hi Powdy
My Granddads name was Charley Shannon and he lived in the flats on Great Thornton Street. He would look out of his window with his bins and watch the trawlers coming up the river, By the time he got down to his car and got on the fish dock the ship would be in dock gates. If me and our kid was with him he would launch us both on and the crew would stuff tobacco what they had bought from the bond down our jumpers for my granddad. Me and our kid would get all there oddments as they called them (loose change) then dump t off before the customs men got on board. After that when my uncle got off he would have a big box of fish that was sneaked into the boot of my granddads car. Then off we went to the pub normally Vicky Vaults on Anlaby road, me and our kid out side in the car with a bottle of pop and a bag of crisps. The next day was down to the dock to settle up, new suit, sort some ovels out i think he used to call them, (guys out of a ship) Then the pub crawl began in earnest King Fisher, Raynor's, to name but a few. All the time granddad would be with him drinking and driving all over the place into the early hours. I think Granddad would sometimes drop drop him off at Vicky Coffee club then go home to bed. Then the next day it would all start again, how granddad never got picked up for drink driving i will never know.

powdy

Postby powdy » Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:35 am

Hi Terry,
Thanks for replying. You had my memory going back exactly to them days when i read your post, had a little giggle with myself too as the memories came back, such treasured days.
You said it as it was, thats just how i remember it all. I was often on the docks as a kid, fish dock more than any other as i just loved everything about it even at such a young age of about five, i had to get past the copper in the cop box at the top of the tunnel but i had my ways of getting on dock.
My dad would have belted my arse had he known how many times i went on there. We lived in South Boulevard as kids and the docks was at the top of our street, so i didnt have far to go.
I remember a lot of the trawlers that were in fish dock. A lot of fishermen knew me or recognised me as i used to hang round the pubs asking for pennies, especially Rainers, i used to get well treat by them.
Theres been a few times when one of the trawlers was sailing that they let me on it when its still been in the dock and ive got off at the lock gates before she sailed, i thought it was brilliant.
I remember hanging round the runners office on dock cadging pennies when the fishermen were waiting for their taxis after they had just settled, i used to do ok there too ha ha.
Yes i recall Vicky Coffee Club too, there was Blue Spot on Hessle Road as well.
As regards your grandad Charlie Shannon, i dont recall the name myself but ill ask my mam as she knew lots of people from Hessle Road area.
Anyway hope i havnt rambled on too much.

Regards, John.
POWDY

Return to “HULL FISHING FAMILIES”