FARNELLA H399

Place photographs of people or vessels of the Hull Fishing Industry
hulltrawler
Site Admin

FARNELLA H399

Postby hulltrawler » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:15 pm

Built Cook Welton Gemmell 1946 as the St Crispin - Scrapped 1965

Pieces of a story from Ray & Piccione
Des Crozier decided that he wanted to swim home from the fishing grounds, and was running naked on the deck, Cliff Dunning the skipper sent ray off the bridge to persuade des it was not his best idea. Ever so thoughtfull Ray, provided him with some essentials, a life jacket and a magazine to read on his long journey. As the crew where getting the codends ready he was eventually hosed down with ice cold sea water.

Crew
CLIFF DUNNING - SKIPPER
RAY COLES
DES CROZIER - ( SWIMMER )
TONY PERRINS
BILL DAVIES ( 1964 - 1965 ) SPAREHAND.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

piccione

Re: FARNELLA H399

Postby piccione » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:48 am

Those were the days . I cannot recall many of the crew . apart from Tony Edeson . George Taylor , Dave Hinchcliffe. Both Tony Edeson and myself were deckie learners and skipper Cliff Dunning said if we both learned the compass by the end of the trip he would pay our bond bill.
We both learnt the compass that trip . piccione

Bond Bill: Was the items bought from the Bond Stores collected and supervised by the skipper which were bought prior to the trip and kept under lock and key, items included tobacco, soap, ciggy papers, beer, ect and were strictly supervised by the customs and excise. The cost of any stores you drew from the bond was then taken from your settlings, ( if you had some to come ) if not it would be taken from your next trip.

piccione

Postby piccione » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:19 pm

I remember me Mally Yardley - Barry Powdrill - Tony Edeson was sailing in the Ross Howe. we all slept in the same birth forward , and in this birth we had a hatch thet led to the net store and bobbings etc , well one night when Tony Edeson was on watch and would be calling us out later . so we thought we would have a laugh and take off the hatch and cover it with a carpet , well in comes tony to call us out for watch , oooooooooooooh as he fell down the hatch almost just saved by one leg out side hatch , really stupid but fun at the time, piccione

powdy

Postby powdy » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:26 pm

You mentioned Barry Powdrill - Do you have any more stories or information about him, he is my uncle, he lives in Australia. Some of the names ring a bell from when i was a lad living in south boulevard.
Thanks.
John Powdrill.
POWDY

Ray coles

Postby Ray coles » Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:57 pm

I sailed with Eric Powdrill in a few of Marrs ships and also Punch Powdrll he was quite a bit older.I don't know where the name Punch came from because Eric was somtimes called Punch.?
Ray Coles

powdy

Postby powdy » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:10 pm

Hi Ray,
Thank you for replying.
My uncle Ken also sailed for J.Marrs as did myself from about march/april time 1974.
I believe Eric Powdrill may have lived in Hessle. Im not sure where the name Punch Powdrill came from either, but the nearest i can get to it is as a kid i was called pouch, ive heard people call my dad pouch as well and i remember my grandad calling me pouch as a little lad, so wether its been changed slightly i dont know.
I was impressed with the models youve made and im seriously wanting build one but im not sure where to start, so id be really grateful if you could give me any ideas, id like to build one of Marrs sidewinders, Brucella or Primella if possible.
Regards, John.
POWDY

Ray coles

Postby Ray coles » Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:25 am

Hi John
I sailed in most of Marrs trawlers and spent a lot of time in the Southell so that is the one I made a model of,I will tell you it doe's not come cheap but it was one of the most satisfiying things I have done, if you need any help I will do what I can
Ray Coles

powdy

Postby powdy » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:54 am

Hi Ray,
Thank you for replying, i liked Marrs trawlers too, i thought they were good sea-ships. I can understand why you built a model of the Southella, having spent a lot of time on her you will have lots of memories and would obviously "know" her so to speak.
Its a similar sort of reason as to why id like to build a model of the sidewinder Brucella, i did my first trip to sea aboard her almost as soon as id officially left school, and having done a few trips aboard her she still holds a lot of memories for me too.
I really appreciate you offering to help if you can, that would be be great. Theres a really good model shop down here in Kent, not too far from me so im guessing id be able to get a fair bit of what id need from them.
Like i said earlier id like to build a model of the Brucella and would appreciate any help you could give on where or how i might be able to get the scale drawings.
Regards, John.
POWDY

Ray coles

Postby Ray coles » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:51 am

Hi John.
I sailed in the Brucella a couple of times I think with Mike Patto skipper and Ken Hinccliff mate but the old gray matter is not what it used to be so it could have been any of Marrs.
I will make enquiries about a drawing for you but apart from the hull which I bought, I made everything myself,like all fishermen it was, if you have not got it make it, I will try and find some of the pic's on my PC and send them to you but I will need your email.
Ray Coles

powdy

Postby powdy » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:07 am

Hi Ray,
Thank you for replying, i know what you mean about the old grey matter, im the same, i have to think alot longer and still dont always remember ha ha.
I think it was Ray Johno who was skipper when i sailed in the Brucella. I remember some of the crew, Mick White, Jeff Pullen, Mick "jacko" Jackson, Mev Woods, Alan Stewart known as Stewy, i cant seem to remember any more right now.
I sailed with skipper Mick Patterson too i think it was on the Northella but i cant be sure. I remember my dad mentioning a Kenny Hinchcliffe over the years, he knew alot of people did the old man.
Thank you for enquiring about a drawing that would be a great help, and Id love to see some of the photos that would be really good.
My email address is :- joncatt@virginmedia.com
Thank you for helping, i appreciate it lots.
Regards, John.
POWDY

Ray coles

Postby Ray coles » Sat May 11, 2013 7:14 pm

Hi John

I sent an email to you but I have not heard from you, did I send it to the right address.

Ray
Ray Coles

Gilly

Postby Gilly » Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:24 pm

I am trying to find a photo of the Cordella, I sailed on her in 1966. It would be something to show the grandchildren

hulltrawler
Site Admin

Postby hulltrawler » Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:15 am

Hi Gilly
Are you sure it was 1966 if you check sidewinders Cordella H572 on site - but she was scrapped 1965
regards chris

Return to “PHOTOGRAPHS - PEOPLE - VESSEL”