MOVED FROM OLD FORUM

Posts relating to family, friends , shipmates and the Genealogy of the Hull Fishing Families
hulltrawler
Site Admin

MOVED FROM OLD FORUM

Postby hulltrawler » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:58 pm

MIKE KELLY
Shipmates overseas, I think there is a few of us left, so get typing and send us a mail, avagoodun mike and janet kelly

STEVE
anyone remember my father, Albert Hutch. his last ship was the orsino mothership, he sailed in hellyers,newingtons , henricksons etc. i would be grateful if anyone had any photos either ashore or at sea.

DEANY
does any body remember old soldier Bill, going down Hessle road saying have you seen tanny. ( Eric Tan)
RAY COLES REPLY: Hi Alan I saw your photo's on the forum and I thought i know that handsome chap from somewhere And yes Ido remember bill.
I didn't remember if I had sailed with you but when you mentioned our Rod and Sid I knew.I was also in the Lucida Mike Patto was skipper I also remember Tony Perrins was there and I think Arthur Husher was there that was in 1966 I think.

hi ray nice to hear from you lot of years gone by now, how is rod have not seen him in years.

Hi Alan,yes a few watches have passed since we sailed together,Rod is in a bad place at the moment he has got end stage empheysema and treatment for throat cancer but he still has a sense of humor.Do you remember any of the crew of the Lucida?

Hi ray very sorry to hear about rod please give him my regards. i think tony perins and arthur husher sid and rod thats about all i can remember

Hi Alan
Our Mike only did a few trips,but at one time my old man Jim and my brothers Jim Rod Mike Bob and Keith were Fishing at the same time but I was the only one that stuck out until 1980.
I still see Jim Frame quite a lot and Ray Jonno now and again but I dont think he is to clever at the moment and Les Houton got in touch on the guest page and it was many years since I saw him.
I am just going to upload some more photo's

Hi Ray
I remember your Keith, he use to live near me when i lived down wyndom street, if i rember rightly his wife had a brain tumor, she had an opperation to remove it. and i remember Bob , and Jim i think Bob got into biulding game ,didn't jim go into the biulding trade as well, i used to bump into rod all the time round the pubs. Just looked at you up load monk and lilly. Lilly was our lasses bothers sister in law he Married her sister Jean. i have bumped into bry in hospital one night he was sat waching tv last time I saw harry watts him and Jimmy myers, had fell out they had good black eyes the pair of them. that was a few years ago.

I have just added the names to monks photo and I have looked at your topic and I have sailed with most of the people you mention.
I wonder if it would be posible for Chris to have a rollcall of fishermen on this site. Our lass was born down Wyndham St and we lived down there when we got married and here are a few more fishermen that lived down there I don't know if you knew any of them, Coathanger George,Colin Barker,Ian Glenn,Gus Spoose,Colin Burton,Harry Day,Melvin.Wood,

DEANY : I can remember Gus Spoose, Colin Barker, ian Glenn, Harry Day, your Kieth, We lived down Crystal ave in Big wyndam till the house caught fire and we had to move. there was a lot of good people lived down there, i was away when the house cought fire and they all help our lass.

DEANY Hi Win
DE YER KEN does ring a bell but can not place the little scotch guy who use to say it. going back to pub crawls do you recall pops, chesters on english street, little neptune. do you remember there was a little night coffee house (some thing like speakeasy) it was called blue spot. only opened for a few month a coloured guy opened it, i think his name was Angel

XL was its name when angel first opened it, then i dont know if some one else took it over but it was blue spot. for deffinate

that is framie. his party piece which i will not say on here. i can not remember what ship we was in. well he did it put it on clive finn's plate (i think it was clive) as he was eating sausages at the time clive nearly stabbed it with a fork. if you see framie ask him if he remembers. have you got that skype

hulltrawler
Site Admin

MOVED FROM OLD FORUM

Postby hulltrawler » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:07 pm

PETE HALLETT
HI CHAPS,gone very quite 4 a while, as promised here is DOES ANYONE KNOW MK 2. in the sixtys when I was fishing out of hull I used to knock about with some guys from all over, when ashore, let me try these names on you, GRAEME DRAISEY [from leeds, decky learner] TONY SWEENEY [COOK FROM HARTLEPOOL] MICK KEELLER [decky learner spare hand from SCOTLAND] does anyone remember any of these names or better still know of their wherabouts today? MICK KEELER was on PORTIA, and some freezers , TONY SWEENEY from HARTLYPOOL, went out with THE DAUTER OF A GUY CALLED DAN SALMON, who some of you probably know. [good name for a fisherman]

DEANY
Just a few names i remember from trawlers, Albert Horsefield, Johny Cannon, Kenny Grub, Tony & Terry Newton, Geordie Tanic, Eric Tan, Doggy Holmes, Bruce Drysdale, Ken Offen, Bob Conroy, Terry Conroy, Harry & Bry limbert, Colin Burrows, Les Mays, Jimmy Myers, Keith Dochorty, Wally Murry, Ray and Rod Coles, Ronny Joplin, Alan Kitchman, geordie Paul Gray, Skadge hardy, Colin & Tommy Mcgee, Eric & Barry Patreeny, George Lee, John Dennet, Dick & Brian Taylor, Billy Brettle, Eddie & Dave Woolridge, Albert & Billy Davis, Tunny East, Jimmy & Joe frame, Naggy Adams, Jonny Plattes, Feddie Lovick, Ray & Winny Hawker, Kenny Downs, Wally Nash, Ray Smith, Kenny Eskete, Danny platton, John Harrison, Greg Minns, Jim Wilson, Harry Pullen, Terry jones, kieth Greenham, Rob Scoils, Willy White, Vick Smart, Dave Taylor, Tony Perrins, Ian Hunter,Arthur Usher, Sid Wheatherall, Charlie Walker, Clive Finn, Colin Dune, and a lot more, Do any of these name bring back a few memories to any one some of them will be spelt wrongly,

GARETH UTTING my name is gareth utting and just looking thru that list of names brings back memories as i have either sailed, came across or my dad bill utting has mentioned quite a few of them

SNACKER I remember and sailed with a few of these lads Kenny Grubb ended up Skipper good old days never to come back but always remembered

DEANY do you recall a lad call tutty tony tunton. use to knock around with kenny.

SNACKER I sure do know tutty he is now working for the coastgaurd at Bridlington sailed with him in the Arctic Cavalier and Galliard I some times get the odd email from him last saw him about 5 years ago in Town

DEANY do you recall john milner and his brother just can't think of his name. there used to go in Kingfisher pub when one hull city players had it then Alan Mcglown got it after him

SNACKER : John Milners brother is Les Milner he still meets up with Tutty I sailed with them all in Boyd line Jimmy Gardner, Jimmy Stuart, Allan Stubbs,Tony Kaey he lives in Benidorm Ray Jopling, Mal Garner the Trolle,s young Sid and old Sid, Mick Wainman we all used to hang around together Billy (mad moon) Rhodes Ray Smirk, and Barry Gibbo to name a few

RAY COLES :
Hi Win I was only looking at the clipping a few week back with Framie he was on the Daystar at the time I do know one thing fishermen knew how to have fun.
You said you saw our Keith a while back are you sure it was not Rick because Keith knocked his knife out for the last time in 1999.
Ray
DEANY: Hi Ray
how are you, i see you have been talking to winnie, i was talking to him the other day on here. it is really good to to hear from people from years ago, because after fishing rapped in, i have been long distance lorry driving and lost contact with every body, from fishing till i found this site. now i have retired i come on every day to see if any one else has found it.

RAY COLES : Hi Alan.
This retirement isn't to bad if you keep yourself occupied.
Looking at all the names on this site there are one or two that have not been mentioned I was in the Stella Carina in 1965 and it is the youngest crew overall that I can remember sailing with Phil Gay was Skipper and I think one of the Commander brothers was mate and some of the others were Tab Jennks(lost over board) Charlie Walker(died in Scandanavia) Dave Thomson(fire on board in dock) Bomber Harris (fire at home doing a fry up after a few pints)Lennie McGinnes and me of course and then the mind starts to dim

Hi Win.
When I think of Rick I think of the lad's on the bench Fred, Naggy, Brian, Johnny I don,t have to put there second names,at one point I was related to Fred because our Mike married his sister, all good deckhands exept our Rick who never stepped aboard a Trawler, but I Have not seen Rick in a long time.
Ray

Hi Win.
Tab had the same problem as Reg Woman trouble but he payed his self away fishing so he did not stand much of a chance,I sailed with Reg quit a bit and always got on well with him but he was a very volatile bloke,will tell you a yarn about him soon,I think we should start a thread about messdeck yarns because that is what I miss some of the great yarns we heard at sea.
I didn't know that one of Jacks brothers had been lost ,I whent to school with Mike and have not heard of him in years but I dont know if he went to sea.
As for Bomber when I went for one of my tickets we had to do a course at Clough Rd Fire Station and they handed out photos to show the dangers of fire and there in one of the photos was Bomber burnt to a crisp still with a fag in his hand,there was also one of a cook I had sailed with but I cannot remember his name.
Ray

Hi Win
Thats the cook I was tring to remember Skinner,the same happend to me our Mike threw a bucket of water over me and dragged me out of a burning bed so it wasn't my time to knock my knife out

Hi Win
Yes Mike Bob and me went to Boulevard I think Mike and Bob gave a teacher or two a slap because by yhe time I started I came in for a bit of stick from them but I would say about 90% of them were sadists but in the long run we got over it,can you see a teacher today giving a kid a kidney punch and dropping him ,thats what the PE teacher did to me a few times but he could have been one of them our Bob slapped and he was getting his own back.

hulltrawler
Site Admin

Re: MOVED FROM OLD FORUM

Postby hulltrawler » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:18 pm

PETER HALLETT.
Doe`s anyone know if the cook picked up by KINGSTON PERIDOT, in ICELAND on her last trip [harry riches] was the cook i knew as cockney harry who i sailed with about 1967

RAY COLES Hi Pete.
I have heard the name Cockney Harry but I don't know if that was him on the Peridot, it is such a long time ago it is hard getting any info on any one,it takes me all my time to remember the ships I sailed in and with who but I do remember sailing with Eddie in Stellas when he was in his twentys.

PETE HI RAY, this cockney harry guy I was asking about I first,came across him in 1966 sailed as a galley boy first trip he was cook,I was fifteen, just left school as you did in those days, I got on well with him as we were both southerners,[not always approved by yorkie crews I have to say] but generally got on ok. this first trip was in the KINGSTON JACINTH dont know if HARRY RICHES was his name but it seems to ring a bell,reading the account of the incident on this site from hull newspaper he gets a mention, as for EDDY START I got on well with him, nice bloke, but as you say time has taken its toll on the old grey matter

RAY COLES Hi Win I sailed with Harry Watts a few times when he was spare hand and I dont think he could boil an egg but you could say that about a few of the cooks I sailed with .
But I dont think Harry Watts was ever cook.

PETER HALLETT did Eddy Start ever make skipper
HULLTRAWLER If it was the same eddie start I have him as skipper of the lord nelson 1979 , lorenzo, and ross trafalgar, I will check as Im sure I have him as skipper elsewhere
PETER HALLETT HI CHAPS, SEEMS EDDY MUST HAVE MADE GOOD, SORRY TO HEAR FATE OF HIS TWO BROTHERS, NOT THAT I KNEW THEM,THANKS FOR THE INFO CUBALL AND TO YOU CHRIS

SNACKER Hi I sailed with a Dave Start in the Arctic Corsair in the early 1960,s I also sailed with an Eddy Start who was in is late 50,s in the Arctic Crusader also a George Start he was third hand in the Arctic Outlaw I also lived next door to an Eddy Start who was a trawler Skipper in B.U.T in the 1970,s his neighbour was also a Skipper called Tony Atkinson who was skipper of the Kurd and the Dane ,I think the Start family were all related cousins ,brothers ect Regards Ian

piccione

no one go on line any more

Postby piccione » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:02 pm

hulltrawler wrote:MIKE KELLY
Shipmates overseas, I think there is a few of us left, so get typing and send us a mail, avagoodun mike and janet kelly

STEVE
anyone remember my father, Albert Hutch. his last ship was the orsino mothership, he sailed in hellyers,newingtons , henricksons etc. i would be grateful if anyone had any photos either ashore or at sea.

DEANY
does any body remember old soldier Bill, going down Hessle road saying have you seen tanny. ( Eric Tan)
RAY COLES REPLY: Hi Alan I saw your photo's on the forum and I thought i know that handsome chap from somewhere And yes Ido remember bill.
I didn't remember if I had sailed with you but when you mentioned our Rod and Sid I knew.I was also in the Lucida Mike Patto was skipper I also remember Tony Perrins was there and I think Arthur Husher was there that was in 1966 I think.

hi ray nice to hear from you lot of years gone by now, how is rod have not seen him in years.

Hi Alan,yes a few watches have passed since we sailed together,Rod is in a bad place at the moment he has got end stage empheysema and treatment for throat cancer but he still has a sense of humor.Do you remember any of the crew of the Lucida?

Hi ray very sorry to hear about rod please give him my regards. i think tony perins and arthur husher sid and rod thats about all i can remember

Hi Alan
Our Mike only did a few trips,but at one time my old man Jim and my brothers Jim Rod Mike Bob and Keith were Fishing at the same time but I was the only one that stuck out until 1980.
I still see Jim Frame quite a lot and Ray Jonno now and again but I dont think he is to clever at the moment and Les Houton got in touch on the guest page and it was many years since I saw him.
I am just going to upload some more photo's

Hi Ray
I remember your Keith, he use to live near me when i lived down wyndom street, if i rember rightly his wife had a brain tumor, she had an opperation to remove it. and i remember Bob , and Jim i think Bob got into biulding game ,didn't jim go into the biulding trade as well, i used to bump into rod all the time round the pubs. Just looked at you up load monk and lilly. Lilly was our lasses bothers sister in law he Married her sister Jean. i have bumped into bry in hospital one night he was sat waching tv last time I saw harry watts him and Jimmy myers, had fell out they had good black eyes the pair of them. that was a few years ago.

I have just added the names to monks photo and I have looked at your topic and I have sailed with most of the people you mention.
I wonder if it would be posible for Chris to have a rollcall of fishermen on this site. Our lass was born down Wyndham St and we lived down there when we got married and here are a few more fishermen that lived down there I don't know if you knew any of them, Coathanger George,Colin Barker,Ian Glenn,Gus Spoose,Colin Burton,Harry Day,Melvin.Wood,

DEANY : I can remember Gus Spoose, Colin Barker, ian Glenn, Harry Day, your Kieth, We lived down Crystal ave in Big wyndam till the house caught fire and we had to move. there was a lot of good people lived down there, i was away when the house cought fire and they all help our lass.

DEANY Hi Win
DE YER KEN does ring a bell but can not place the little scotch guy who use to say it. going back to pub crawls do you recall pops, chesters on english street, little neptune. do you remember there was a little night coffee house (some thing like speakeasy) it was called blue spot. only opened for a few month a coloured guy opened it, i think his name was Angel

XL was its name when angel first opened it, then i dont know if some one else took it over but it was blue spot. for deffinate

that is framie. his party piece which i will not say on here. i can not remember what ship we was in. well he did it put it on clive finn's plate (i think it was clive) as he was eating sausages at the time clive nearly stabbed it with a fork. if you see framie ask him if he remembers. have you got that skype

davematthews

Re: MOVED FROM OLD FORUM

Postby davematthews » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:46 pm

My name is Dave Matthews, came across this site by accident, glad i did, I spent 15 years fishing mostly with Boyd Line, 12 years spare hand and 3 years radio op, I know most of the names mentioned on hear, was only talking to Les Milner last week, if anyone remembers me it would be great to hear from you again

Return to “HULL FISHING FAMILIES”