WALTER FIRTH - HMS ALOUETTE(FY101)

Posts relating to family, friends , shipmates and the Genealogy of the Hull Fishing Families
BarrieFirth

WALTER FIRTH - HMS ALOUETTE(FY101)

Postby BarrieFirth » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:58 am

I have just discovered this site.
My father, George Firth, passed away in December. Walter, as mentioned above was his older brother. It seems he was a stoker on the Allouette and lost his life in a Uboat attack.
On the site there are photos by Sidney Pike. I wonder if anyone knows who the people are? Obviously I'm hoping for a picture of my late uncle.

I wish I had done this before my fathers death.

Barrie.

hulltrawler
Site Admin

Re: WALTER FIRTH - HMS ALOUETTE(FY101)

Postby hulltrawler » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:35 am

Hi Sidney who was in his 80`s gave me all the names he could remember of the crewmen he served with, that I have listed

WoolyN2011

Re: HMS ALOUETTE(FY101)

Postby WoolyN2011 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:35 pm

Hi,

I am posting this on my wife's behalf! Her mum and aunty are the sistera of John Henry Bush who sadly died.

We were wondering how to change the address to that from where he was born and where the family returned after the war. They all came from Gorleston near Great Yarmouth.

Also are there any records of the medal(s) he would have received. My wife's Grandmother mislaid them sadly.

Any information would be very gladly appreciated.

Best

Nigel

robertson56

Re: WALTER FIRTH - HMS ALOUETTE(FY101)

Postby robertson56 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:52 pm

Hi,
My father Richard Robertson was a Leading Hand Cook on the HM Trawler Alouette. She was a minesweeper/trawler and was operating in the Atlantic, seven miles west of Sesimbra, Portugal when she was torpedoed in the early hours of 19th September 1942 by U552... 75 years ago. There is a good website called Uboat.net for checking it out. He was one of 30 survivors out of the ships compliment of 44 who were picked up by Portuguese fishing boats and landed at Sesimbra. ( They had been in the water for several hours during the hours of darkness before being rescued.) From there they made their way to Lisbon. I have a photograph of my father and ( presumably) eleven of the crew, taken whilst in
Lisbon ( Don't know who took the photo ). It was taken with them posing in front of a monument in a Lisbon square, wearing James Cagney style suits and hats. Through a Lisbon contact and some emails to the British Consulate in Lisbon I managed to ascertain it's location. Jardim Dom Luis is the name of the Square and it's close to the train terminus Cais do Sodre . That area was popular with mariners in years gone by, nowadays the main harbour is further along the coast. I have several other wartime photographs of his ships and crew etc, but sadly with no info.

75 years later ( September 2017 ) I had the privilege of visiting the square with my son and Grandson, none of us of course would be alive if
he'd been lost ! He used to tell me about the rumors that the Germans were shooting any survivors in the water!! Maybe it was fortunate then, that the U boat commander Kluas Popp ( born in 1917 ) was a respectful career naval officer and not a hostilities only Nazi !!! My father immediately jumped overboard only in his underpants after Alouette was hit, but sadly his best man to be, ( name not known) went back for his belongings and was never seen again.

The survivors ( by this time numbering only 27 ??? ) travelled by ship ( navy ? ) to Gibraltar, from where my father returned to Kirkcaldy, Fife, Scotland to marry my mother on 17th October 1942. My Uncle Joe stood in as "best man". After a brief honeymoon, He was quickly sent back to service onboard HM Trawler Gweal T246 ( ex- Broreray ) built by Cook, Welton and Gemmell in Hull in Nov 1942. It was an "Isles" class trawler and was sold after the war in 1948.

I have been looking for any photographs on this site by Sydney Pike ( crew member as listed on Uboat.net ) but am unable to find them.

Richard Robertson jnr.

Return to “HULL FISHING FAMILIES”