Cook Welton & Gemmell
Off Number
Length Ft
Tons Gross
Yard Number
Breadth Ft
Tons Net
17 09 1891
Engine Builder
Bailey & Leetham Hull
45 HP
16 10 1891
Registered TERRIER H171 Owners Humber Steam Trawling Co Ltd
    Collision 10th January 1893. Collision with Ketch Septimus of Ipswich. Sinking her in Humber, no damage to our vessel. Hazy weather - could not see lights distinctly enough and ran into her.
      10 June 1897 Hull : Empress H276 steam trawler returned to day having in tow the steam trawler Terrier, with crankshaft broken.
    Collision March 25th 1900 North Sea. Collision with Norwegian schooner, through not having its lights up. No damage to the Terrier
    Collision 18 Dec 1906 River Humber. Collision with Steam Trawler Viola H868 of Hull. Causing serious damage on our Port side which necessitated beaching the vessel. Cause - Fog:- the Viola was at anchor.
    Tonnage Adjusted 01 01 1914 -  62.5 net
    . 31 10 1916 Hull register closed total loss
Fate : 29 Sept 1916 Homeward Bound Foundered after Grounding, Wrencher Head Scotland




Narrow Escape of The Crew

About half-past nine 0`clock last night the ketch Septimus of Ipswich was run down in the Humber opposite Albert Dock. Mr H Wesley Leek, master of the ketch has made a report to the Receiver of Wrecks on the subject. He states therein that the Septimus was owned by Mr A Hayward of Ipswich, and was built of wood. Her crew consisted of three hands, and she carried about 110 tons of oak from Selby to the order of the North-Eastern Railway Company. On the 26th of last month he left Southampton. All went well during the voyage, and the ketch anchored in the Humber on the 7th instant, between the Albert and St Andrews Docks. There was a slight haze on the river last night, when the mate was on watch. The captain was asleep at about 9.30pm.; when he was aroused by the shock of a collision. On comming on deck he found his vessel was sinking. The mate called his attention to their riding lights, which were burning brightly; and the weather was no thicker than when he went below. He noticed a steamer about seven lengths astern. He and his crew  hailed her, and she came and took them off just as the ketch was rapidly going down. The steamer in question was the trawler Terrier belonging to the Humber Steam trawling Company.


The British trawler Terrier which collided with the Norwegian Schooner Mariane of Lanrvig, in the North Sea on Mar 25th, arrived at Bergen on Mar 28th. The Mariane was damaged amidship.


During the dense fog last night a collision occured between the steam trawler Terrier belonging to the Humber Steam Trawling Co Ltd Hull, and one of messrs Hellyers trawlers. It was found necessary to beach the Terrier in consequence of the rapid manner in which she was making water. She had been struck amidship. The skipper immediately ran the vessel ashore at Paull. When the owners were aquainted with the news they notified the Pioneer Tug, Lighter and Salving Co.; and they sent their tug the Pioneer to the trawler`s assistance. As soon as there was sufficient water on the beach they went alongside the Terrier placed their salving pumps aboard got the water out, and successfully brought her to St Andrews Dock to discharge her cargo of fish. Another tug belonging to the same company then took up the pumping operations, and will continue untill the vessel is placed on the slip. ( As above the other vessel was the Trawler Viola H868 which was at anchor)



A Board of trade enquiry was held at Hull to-day concerning the stranding of the Hull trawler Terrier belonging to Humber Steam Trawling Co, while on a return voyage.

Mr J Porter and Mr H Stonehouse ( magistrates ) were assisted by Capt Houston, Capt R Peters (of Stevenage), and Mr J W Head ( Fishermans Association). Mr Saxelby, for the Board of Trade. explained that three lives were lost - Bromfield ( trimmer ), Hewett ( cook ) and Loraine ( deck hand).  The weather was fairly good, with a fine breeze, suddenly brakers boarded the trawler from the south-west and grounded her on the rocks towards the shore, which was half a mile off. The engines were at once stopped, and, hopes of saving the vessel being given up, rockets were sent up. The sea at the time was breaking over the vessel. The crew succeded in getting the boat alongside the trawler but the boat capsized and the three men were thrown out into the water. The others succeded in getting back onboard the trawler excepting the mate, who lashed himself to the boat, and he was washed ashore. The remainder of the crew were rescued by a boat sent from shore.



Judgement in the Board of Trade inquiry into the stranding and loss of the Hull trawler Terrier, belonging to the Humber Steam Trawling Company, while on a return journey to Hull from the fishing ground, was given today at the Law Courts, Hull. Mr Saxelby, appeared for the Board of Trade and Mr Colbeck for the skipper and mate. The Judgment was read by the Chairman ( Mr J Porter ). The Court found the stranding and loss of the trawler was caused by the default of the skipper ( John Charles Brooker ) in not making sufficient allowance for tides, currents, beam, winds, and sea , and to his carelessness in estimating the distances run and the position of the vessel when she altered her course, and to his great default in neglecting to use the lead; and, taking into consideration his previous good character, they suspended his certificate for six months. The Court expressed sympathy with the relatives of the three members of the crew - R Blomfield (trimmer ). J H Hewick ( cook ). and R Lorraine ( deck hand).- who unfortunately lost their lives in the disaster. In the opinion of the Court it was desirable that the second hand should take more interest in the navigation of the vessel, and were of opinion that instructions issued by authorities should in all cases be confided to him as soon as the ship was at sea, so that in case of any casualty to the skipper the second hand should be in a position to continue the navigation of the vessel. Mr Colbeck on behalf of the skipper, asked permission for him to proceed to sea as mate. There were, he said exceptional circumstances, as the skipper had already been suspended two months by the Insurance Board. The Court declined to grant the request.



Birth Pl
Date/ Scource
. . . . . . . .
BROOKS JAMES . TERRIER H171 . Skipper 28 Jan 1892 .
TOZER EMANUELLE . TERRIER H171 . Second Hand 28 Jan 1892 .
KING ROBERT . TERRIER H171 . Bosun 28 Jan 1892 .
JACKSON F . TERRIER H171 . Fourth Hand 28 Jan 1892 .
. . . . . . . .
BIRCHELL JOHN . TERRIER H171 . Third Hand Dec 1899 Injury

Vessel Log : 7am 7/12/99 North Sea. J Burchell, 3rd hand. 2 broken thighs due to starboard after bollard breaking through gear getting fast to the bottom.

Lincolnshire Chronicle 15 Dec 1899

A shocking accident has befallen John Birchell one of the crew of the Hull steam trawler Terrier, whilst at sea. During the shooting of the trawl  the wire rope carried Birchell overboard. He got hold of a life buoy which was thrown to him over the side and was saved with much difficulty, both his thighds were found to be broken, and he was brought to Hull forthwith and sent to the Royal Infirmary were he remains under treatment.

. . . . . . . .
LOWN JOHN W . TERRIER H171 . Skipper 1901 1901 Census in St Andrews Dock Mr Harding was watchman - Mr Lown Master but not aboard / RG 13 4474 p266
. . . . . . . .
KNOX SAMUEL 27 TERRIER H171 . Cook 14 Oct 1906 Lost overboard



The steam trawler Terrier belonging to Hull arrived in Aberdeen yesterday, and Thomas Davies, skipper, reported that one of the crew Samuel Knox (27), who resided at Hull, had been washed overboard and drowned on Sunday afternoon. The skipper stated that when the vessel was 150 miles north a half east off Spurn Head, about 6 o`clock, Knox was last seen standing besides the winch, and nobody observed him falling into the water. The vessel cruised about for some time, but there was no sign of the body, and the master made for Aberdeen in order to report the affair to the authorities. Knox was unmarried and was on his first voyage with the trawler.

DAVIES THOMAS HENRY . TERRIER H171 . Skipper 14 Oct 1906 Reported death of Samuel Knox
. . . . . . . .
TRICKETT JAMES 26 TERRIER H171 . Second Hand 11 Jan 1908 Dragged overboard by trawl and drowned.
. . . St Georges Ave Redbourne St . . . .
. . . . . . . .
BROWN GEORGE WILLIAM . TERRIER H171 . Fourth Hand 11 Jan 1908  
Jan 1908 The King has been pleased on the recommendation of the president of the Board of Trade to award a Bronze medal for Gallantry for saving life at sea to George William Brown fourth hand of the steam trawler Terrier of Hull, in recognition of his services in endeavouring to rescue the second hand of that vessel, who was accidentaly knocked overboard in the North Sea on Jan 11th.

Letter to Editor HDM  27 Jan 1908.

Sir, Would you allow me space in your paper to call the attention of the public to the drowning at sea of the mate James Tricket of the steam trawler Terrier on the 11th inst., about 270 miles from Spurn, and the brave attempt that was made to save his life by all on board. While heaving up the trawl some part of the gear was carried away, and the mate been close to the ship`s side, some part of it took him overboard. I think he must have been seriously hurt before he took the water, as he was seen bolt upright, and not making any effort to save himself. The the engineer asked if anyone could swim, and before anyone spoke splash someone went overboard, and in a few seconds George Brown, the deck hand ( a lad about 19 or 20 ) came up bringing the mate with him. He clutched the foot rope with one hand, holding the dead or dying man with the other. Just then the ship gave a lurch,and Brown let go. In a very short time he hove in sight again, but without the mate, who was not seen afterwards, and it was with difficulty Brown was saved. I know the skipper, and am quite sure this loss is a big blow to him. I think the bravery of the lad Brown ought to receive some sort of recognition from some quarter or other, and I hope it will be so, for seeing the lad went overboard in oil frock and sea boots, it is no easy matter to grapple with a drowning man in a condition like that. I am, Sir, etc, JOHN H DAVIES  5 Elm Tree Row South Parade Hull.

FOOTNOTE: ( although the writer of the letter states he knows the skipper, he also bears the same name John H Davies )

Letter to Editor HDM  25 June 1908.

We read a little while ago of the disgracful state of affairs which took place on a Hull trawler on it`s way to sea. When most of the crew went ashore for a drink after the skipper had anchored in the Humber. Indeed the weaknesses of our fishermen are well known. I am afraid however that those who judge them often lose sight of the gallantry and generosity of their dis-potition, which, I often think, places them second to no other class for these particular virtues. I am glad to see the Hull Stipendiary Magistrate, whose experience brings him into very close contact with our fishermen, does not associate himself with that class of people who judge harshly and do not remember the better side of the lives they criticise. Mr Hay Halkett said as much in making a presentation this week, and I am pleased to draw attention to the brave and entirely creditable conduct of a young Hull man on the trawler Terrier. The vessel was fishing in the North Sea, when the second hand fell overboard, and without hesitating a second, or taking off a single thing, George William Brown ( aged 23) 2 Westbourne Cresent Edingburgh Street, jumped overboard, and to the rescue. he managed to bring the man to the ship`s side, when a lurch of the vessel broke away his hold of the rope, and both he and the second hand went under the vessel. Here the struggles of the drowning man forced Brown to release his hold, and he was got aboard almost spent with his great effort to a fellow creature`s life. It is difficult for us who stay at home to estimate the courage required to impel a man to leap into the deep sea to save the life of a frantically struggling man, and though Brown`s effort was saddly not enough in vain, his courage  and humanity stand out undimmed. As I have said the Stipendiary Magistrate stated that it was generally his lot to punish those at sea, and it gave him particular pleasure to pin the Kings Medal onto Brown`s breast. A large number of fisherman have received gifts from foreign rulers, but Brown will be all the more proud that his medal comes from our own King. The wearer of the medal was very modest in his reply to the Magistrate. He wished his father had been alive to see that day, as he ( the father ) had been the first man to receive the medal for long service ( 23 years in postal employ). I share the recipitent`s wish - such a father might well be proud of such a son, and a good parent is a lads best start in life. I hope George William Brown will live to do other great deeds - although non could be braver than his first.

On the 09 Oct 1909 George William Brown was charged at the Hull Police Court under the Merchant Shipping Act for refusing to join his vessel the Hull Trawler Leven due to drink. The Stipediary Magistrate, the same man who presented him his medal respited judgement and gave him a lenient fine of 7s 6d costs.

On the 22 Feb 1915 George William Brown was again charged for disobedience see article below.

. . . . . . . .
BENTLEY J . TERRIER H171 . Cook Mar 06 1913 Fell into the dock
READ RICHARD 42 TERRIER H171 . Skipper 05 03 1913 St Andrews Dock Hull. Richard Read, skipper. Drowning through falling in dock. Inquest held at Hull. Verdict:- Found drowned
. . . 52 Walker St Hull . . . .

THE COURIER - Mar 06 1913



A mysterious affair occured at Hull Fish Docks yesterday morning. A dockgateman found the dead body of skipper R Read of the steam tarwler Terrier, floating face down in the water. The body was badly bruised about the face and head. Two other men were rescued from the dock, one J Bentley beign a cook on the Terrier, and the Other S Brooks, having been a deckhand on the trawler Othello. The investigations of the police show that there had been no foul play. A rumour ran that two men had been fighting, and when the skipper went to seperate them all three fell into the water. This story is now denied, Brooks has stated that he was going to rejoin his ship when in the darkness he walked into the dock. ( From other clippings J Bentley`s leg was broken. )

TURNER RICHARD . TERRIER H171 . . 22 Feb 1915 Refused to do his duties.

FISHERMEN FINED FOR DISOBEDIENCE - Evening Telegraph 22 Feb 1915

Objected to Water From Melted Ice.

A case was heared at Hull under the provisions of the Merchant Shipping Act, against two trawler hands, Richard Turner and George William Brown of the Hull steam trawler Terrier owned by the Humber Steam Trawling Co Ltd.; for refusing to carry out the commands of the skipper. Skipper Parker said that Feb 10th the Terrier went to sea from Hull with sufficient water to last 6 weeks, but owing to something going wrong with the water supply four days later, the crew from the 14th to the 17th had to drink ice water, which was procured from melting down ice manufactured at Hull and put inside the trawler to keep the fish fresh. Both the defendants on the 17th refused to do their duties and shoot the gear, and he had to bring his vessel to port prematurely, and lost £200 in the value of his catch. \the defendants pleaded that they refused to do their work because they would no longer live on water obtained from melted ice which was two trips old. Prisoners were each fined £2, including costs or, twenty one days imprisonment, and ordered to forfeit two days wages.

. . . . . . . .
BENNETT MARTIN . TERRIER H171 . Third Hand 16 Sept 1916 Charged with endangering his vessel



An alarming scene which took place on the steam trawler Terrier whilst she was between Paull and Immingham on the morning of Sept 16th was described at Hull Police Court to-day, when Martin Bennett, formerly third hand of that vessel, but now a soldier, was charged under the Merchant Shipping Act with endangering the safety of the ship. Mr Douglas Locking, who appeared to prosecute said that the case was a very serious one. The Terrier owned by Humber Steam Trawling Co Ltd left Hull on the date in question with the prisoner as third hand. When between Paull and Immingham the prisoner approached the mate, who was at the wheel, and asked "Is that the new skipper?" indicating the captain. The mate nodded, and prisoner then used some abusive language towards the skipper, and tried to get the wheel from the mate, saying he meant to take the ship to Grimsby. The mate pushed him away, whereupon the prisoner seized the telegraph and rang the vessel to stop. The engines were stopped, and had it not been for the presence of mind of the skipper in instantly ringing "Full speed" again, very serious results might of ensued. Prisoner was seen to be very much the worse for liquor, and was handed over to a naval escort and taken to Immingham. Evidence bearing out Mr Locking`s statement was given by the captain and mate of the Terrier, who said as a result of the prisoner`s conduct the trawler was forced to come back to Hull, and was delayed 56 Hours. The total loss to the owners would be no less than £200. Prisoner complained that the skipper had Ill treated him. He admitted he was an absentee from the army at the time when he was sailing out of Hull. The magistrates ( Mr J Stephen amd Mr J Downs) took a serious view of the case and passed sentence of three months imprisonment.

. . . . . . . .
BLOOMFIELD ARTHUR 56 TERRIER H171 . Trimmer 29 Sept 1916 Lost when vessel grounded - Bloomfield - Lost trawlermen of Hull List
BROMFIELD / BLOMFIELD . . .61 Argyle St . . . Bromfield and Blomfield in news articles / Inquiry
. . . . . . . .
HEWICK H . TERRIER H171 . Cook 29 Sept 1916 Lost when vessel grounded -  HEWICK on board of trade enquiry
HEWETT / MERWICK . . West Dock Ave Hull . . . MERWICK -Lost trawlermen of Hull list
. . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . .
LORRAINE J . TERRIER H171 . Deckhand 29 Sept 1916 Lost when vessel grounded
. . . Walker St Hull . . . .
. . . . . . . .
BROOKER JOHN CHARLES . TERRIER H171 . Skipper 29 Sept 1916 Survivor of grounding - Certificate suspended for 6 months
FISHER GEORGE . TERRIER H171 . Mate 29 Sept 1916 Survivor of grounding - Would be lost on the Egret H21
. . . . . . . .