Edwards Brothers North Shields
Off Number
Length Ft
Tons Gross
Yard Number
Breadth Ft
Tons Net
16 06 1897
41 HP
21 Jul 1897 / FD
Engine Builder N.E. Marine Engineering Co Ltd, Sunderland
Registered QUAIL FD175 Owners 21 07 1897 Kelsall Brothers & Beeching Ltd, Manchester
    . 11 Nov 1899 Took the trawler Adriatic H448 of Hull in tow after main steam pipe burst .
  QUAIL H236 Owners 12 04 1899 Kelsall Bros & Beeching Ltd Hull - Gamecock fleet - George Beeching, Hull & John E. A. Kelsall, London, managers
    Register 12 05 1899 Fleetwood Register closed
    Collision 13 Sept 1905 Collision with the Hull trawler Parramatta H445
    Collision 20 Aug 1907 Collision with the Wilson Liner Dynamo - vessel sank with the loss of two lives - Salvaged and repaired
    Owners 21 Oct 1907 Refloated and returned to Hull
    Owners 12 Mar 1908 After been refloated and repaired at Goole she was lengthened to 116.5 Ft, 162 G - 61N tons Wheelhouse was also enclosed, the Quail left St Andrews for the fishing grounds.
  QUAIL H236 Register 15 04 1908 Re Registered at Hull
    Stranded 13 July 1914 Stranded at Flamborough was refloated on next tide
  H.M.T QUAIL Owners Nov 1914 Admiralty Requisition
  H.M.T QUAIL II Owners Feb 1915 Re- named by Admiralty
    Register 11 11 1916 Hull Register closed total loss
Fate : 23 Jun 1915 - 1140pm Collision with the Steam Tug Bulldog off Portland, English Channel
Admiralty Requisition
Pennant No
Nov 1914
The Quail had a very difficult life she was one of the fleet shelled in the Russian Outrage incident of 1904 after surviving the shells of the Russian fleet,. in Aug 1907 the Quail was in collision with the Steamer Dynamo in the river Humber off Killigholme where she sank. The Quail was later refloated and continued her life as a fishing vessel untill requisitioned by the Admiralty. The Quail again was in a collision which resulted in her total loss.


20 Aug 1907

The Hull Trawler QUAIL H236 Left Hull on the 19th Aug 1907 for the North Sea fishing grounds, she got as far as the Holme Sands in the Humber were she stranded, she remaind stranded till approx 1.30am the following morning, when with the aid of the incoming tide and her engines, she refloated herself and headed for Killinghome. Off Killingholme the anchor was dropped and the anchor light hoisted, as the skipper intended to continue his journey at daybreak. Eight of the crewmen then went below leaving John Nicolini on anchor watch. Whilst still at anchor at 3.15am The Wilson Liner Dynamo ( Captain Tom Mosset Clifford ) having left Hull at 2am for Antwerp, crashed into the starboard side of the Quail. All the crewmen of the Quail except the skipper and the mate rushed onto the deck. The mate tumbled  hurriedly from his bunk to find water rushing into his cabin, he attempted to open the door but was unable to do so. He leapt to the table and tried the skylights, and although those on deck endeavoured to assist him through the skylight, the task was impossible, water had reached the top of the cabin and it was now very difficult to breath as water was getting into his mouth. As the crew tried to find tools to open the skylight the mate thought he had been abandoned by his crewmates and almost gave himself up as lost. Mean while the cook Charles Sommerfield had tried to open the skylight and had managed to smash the glass with a hammer from the engine room, but the hammer was too small to damage the frame, he had stated that he would not leave the mate, and went by boat to the Dynamo for a bigger hammer and further help. Willey then plunged into the water and found the door handle, the force of the water opened the door and the mate was carried onto the deck by the tremendous rush of the water , Summefield who had returned to the vessel heared his cries and with some difficulty wading and swimming, he reached willey on the forecastle and saved him. The skipper was not seen he must have drowned trapped in his cabin, or killed by the collision as the Dynamo had struck close to his cabin. Nicolini was seen hanging onto the satrboard anchor of the Dynamo, but before he could be saved he dropped to the deck of his own vessel and was seen no more. The remainder of the crew were rescued by the boat of the Dynamo and brought back to Hull .  The Captain of the Dynamo was in charge on the bridge with the Second Officer and Chief Officer on watch, an able seaman was at the wheel and another on the forecastle. Whilst starboarding the vessel to get the Killingholme lights in position she ran foul of the Quail. The lights of the trawler were dimmly seen and a moment later they saw her figure. But it was too late to prevent the collision. Those aboard the Dynamo alleged that the strong electric lights been used at the new Immingham Dock blinded them, making it impossible to see the vessel until they were close upon it. They also claimed the Quail was anchored in the fairway. At the enquiry the mate William Willey stated that on boarding the Dynamo the Captain had told him that he had mistaken the Quails lights for Newsham Booth, he also stated that he was short handed but did not mention to what extent. Mr Saxelbye asked Willey : Did he say anything about the Immingham Dock lights?.  A: No Sir.  Willey was further questioned by the Judge: Q: was everyone sober when you left the dock ?.  A: Yes Sir  Q: that was something very unusual ?. A: Yes Sir. Q: How do you account for it?. A: I don`t Know ( Later he added) "The men had been on shore a long time, and I should think they were spent up". When they refloated he asked the captain if he was going right out to sea at once. Lewis replied he would anchor till six o`clock. The Judge ( after witness had explained were they were brought to ) you were right in the fairway then?.  A: Yes Sir.  Mr Saxelbye: There was really no reason why you should not have gone on?. A: I wasn`t the captain. The Judge: There was no reason?. A: No Sir.

The Board of Trade Enquiry found that the collision was caused by the Quail by bringing up and remaining anchored in the middle of the fairway

The Judge commented on the actions of Charles Sommerfield in saving the mate, saying he had done exceptionally well. Sommerfield greatly distressed stated to the court " I `ve lost my wife through the shock of the affair". As On the morning of the disaster on returning home unexpectedly of course gave his wife a shock, which (so the doctor says) resulted in her death on Saturday night.

Address / Vessel
Birth Pl
Occupation / Relationship
Date/ Scource
. . . . . . . .
CORRIGAN W 33 QUAIL H236 . Cook 30 Aug 1902 Died in hospital following illness aboard Heart Disease
. . . . . . . .
LEWIS WILLIAM 47 QUAIL H236 . Skipper 20 Aug 1907 Lost when vessel was in collision and sank in Humber
. . . 13 Harrow St Hull . . . .
. . . 11 Ogwins Tce Strickland St . . . BOT Enquiry Address Given as
NICOLINI JOHN . QUAIL H236 . Third Hand 20 Aug 1907 Lost when vessel was in collision and sank in Humber
  . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . .
RICH JOHN . QUAIL H236 . Mate Oct 1906 Summond for deserting his ship : After leaving for a 5 week cruise the vessel put back five days later due to illness of some of the crew. That night John Norris the ships husband told him he would have to join the vessel the next morning as it was to sail. He did not turn up and a search for him found him in a public house. At first he said he would go with them after he had finished his pint, then he refused to go at all. They sailed without him and a few days later he sailed with another firm. Fined £5 including cost or 30 days imprisonment in default of payment, the Chairman remarking he ought to know better than desert and set such a bad example to the men.
GREEN THOMAS . QUAIL H236 . . 05 Nov 1906 Charged with deserting his ship on the 5th Nov 1906 - On the 15th Oct the ship sailed for the fishing grounds and returned on the 4th Nov with a breakdown. On the evening of the latter date the prisoner went to Mr Beeching and told him he was going to leave. Mr Beeching said it was too late and prisoner consented to go with the vessel. The next morning he did not turn up and after two to three hours a substitute was obtained and the vessel put to sea. The forfeiture of all wages due to him was ordered, he had drawn all but 1s. He was also ordered to pay 12s costs.
LAYCOCK GEORGE . QUAIL H236 . Cook 14 Aug 1907 Fined 15s including Costs and 2s wages for Wilful disobedience by refusing to sail on the trawler Quail after having been engaged as cook. His excuse was that the ship was over run with rats.
  . . . . . . .
WILLEY WILLIAM HENRY . QUAIL H236 . Mate 20 Aug 1907 Survivor of sinking - BOT Enquiry witness
DILBOA JOHN WILLIAM 16 QUAIL H236 . Deckhand 20 Aug 1907 Survivor of sinking - BOT Enquiry witness
SOMMERFIELD CHARLES 16 QUAIL H236 . Cook 20 Aug 1907 Survivor of sinking - BOT Enquiry witness - On the morning of the disaster on returning home unexpectedly of course gave his wife a shock, which (so the doctor says) resulted in her death on Saturday night.
. . . 18 Fern Ave Eastborne St . . . .
. . . . . . . .
BRADSHAW J . QUAIL H236 . Skipper 13 Feb 1914 .
HARDEN E . QUAIL H236 . Second Hand 13 Feb 1914 .
HOLDER . . QUAIL H236   Bosun 13 Feb 1914 .
CODD B . QUAIL H236   Third hand Apprentice 13 Feb 1914 .
BRADSHAW J . QUAIL H236 . Fourth hand 13 Feb 1914 .
LE BRUN H . QUAIL H236 . Deckhand Apprentice 13 Feb 1914 .
. . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . .