Cook Welton & Gemmell
Off Number
Length Ft
Tons Gross
Yard Number
Breadth Ft
Tons Net
02 Feb 1911
87 HP
07 Apr 1911
Engine Builder
Amos and Smith, Limited, of Hull
10 K
Registered DANE H227 Owners 07 04 1911 Imperial Steam Fishing Co Ltd Hull - Frank O Hellyer manager
  H.M.T DANE Admiralty 15 05 1915 Admiralty Requisition
Renamed H.M.T DANE II Renamed June 1915 Renamed by Admiralty
  DANE II H227 Register 04 12 1915 Registered at Hull
Renamed DANE H227 . 12 03 1919 Returned to owner by Admiralty - Registered Hull
    Owners 1920 Hellyer Brothers Ltd Hull  - Frank O Hellyer manager
    Owners 1927 Jens C Christenson  Hessle - Hellyer Bros Managers
    Owners 06 01 1928 Christenson & Co Ltd Hull  - Jens C Christenson  Hessle Manager
    Owners 1931 Dane Fishing Co Ltd Hull - William B. Willey, manager
    Owners Nov 1934 Mr. Henry Elliott, Managing Owner Fleetwood
    Stranded 11th December, 1934 Stranded Monarch Islands, Outer Hebrides
    Owners 1935 H Elliott, & Sons Trawlers Ltd, Fleetwood - Henry Elliott manager
    Owners 1939 Prince Fishing Co Ltd Hull - Hellyer Brothers managers
  H.M.T DANE Admiralty Jan 1940 Admiralty Requisition - Hire rate £86.10.0d a month
    Owners 1943 - H Markham Cook Ltd Grimsby
    Admiralty Jan 1946 Returned to owners from Admiralty service
    Register Nov 1946 Hull register closed
  DANE GY417 Register 29 11 1946 Registered Grimsby
    Owners 28 05 1947 - Drum Fishing Co Ltd Granton - Edwin James Walker manager
  . Owners 12 06 1947 Grimsby Register closed
  DRUMSKEUGH GN37 Register June 1947 Registered Granton
    Sold for scrapping Feb 1954 Malcolm Brechin, Granton
Fate : Feb 1954 Scrapped at Granton
Admiralty Requisition
Pennant No
15 05 1915
Minesweeper - 1-6pdr
1915 Based Aegean Sea
Jan 1940
Jan 1946


Address / Vessel
Birth Pl
Occupation / Relationship
Date/ Scource
. . . . . . . .
ALEXANDRA SAMUEL 42 DANE H227 . Bosun 07 Dec 1929 Lost at sea - ALEXANDER ?
. . . 12 Danes Crt - Eastbourne St . . . .
. . . . . . . .
KIRBY F . DANE H227 . Skipper Oct 1934 Last Hull trip
HARDCASTLE J . DANE H227 . Skipper Oct 1939  
HARRISON WILLIAM . DANE H227 . Skipper Dec 1934 Fleetwood - BOT inquiry found at fault for stranding certificate suspended 9 months
NOLAN . . DANE H227 . Mate Dec 1934 Fleetwood
HARTEVELT . . DANE H227 . Bosun Dec 1934 Fleetwood
. . . . . . . .




The Court, having carefully inquired into the circumstances attending the above-mentioned shipping casualty, finds, that the stranding of the said vessel and the serious damage thereto was due to the default of the skipper, William Harrison,

The vessel left Fleetwood at about 6 p.m. on the 28th November, 1934, on a fishing voyage round the Faroe Islands and the Banks. On arrival at the Faroe Islands the vessel fished at various points, and then proceeded towards the Faroe Bank where she arrived on the morning of the 5th December, 1934, and continued fishing until 1.30 a.m. on the loth December, 1934; the weather conditions then being wind S.W. moderate, sea moderate, and clear.

The skipper took his departure from the Faroe Bank at 1.30 a.m. on the 10th December, 1934, and proceeded towards Fleetwood with ten tons of fish on board.

As regards the point of departure from the Faroe Bank the skipper in his evidence stated that it was the N.E. corner of the Bank, but it is to be observed that this point could,at the best, be only an assumed position, and may not have been stated with accuracy.

He streamed the log and set a course of S. ½ E. at a speed of 8 to 9 miles per hour, intending to pass between Cape Wrath and Butt of Lewis. He then went below leaving the boatswain in charge of the vessel.

The skipper came on deck again at 6 a.m. and took the wheel at 7.30 a.m. until 11 a.m. and after that remained on deck until 1.30 p.m., when he went below.

At 3.30 p.m. the skipper went on the bridge and altered course to south because he considered his vessel was going to the eastward of her course.

From 4 p.m. onwards he stated that he was more or less occupied with the wireless set which, he said, was not working properly.

At 7 p.m. the loom of a light was seen on the port side bearing S.E. by E. distant about 24 miles, which the skipper took to be that of Cape Wrath. No reading of the log was taken at this time; the weather then being fine with good visibility, moderate sea and moderate S.W. wind. The vessel was still continued on a course of south, but the Court considers that, as only the loom of the light was seen, the skipper should have steered towards it until he could correctly identify it and ascertain his position. The skipper admitted in his evidence that he was so much occupied with the wireless and other duties that he failed to take proper measures to identify this light.

At 7.45 p.m. another light was sighted on the starboard side bearing W.S.W., distant about 20 miles, which the skipper took to be Tiumpan Head Light, but which was in fact Flannan Islands Light. The Court considers that the bearing of this light, as given in evidence, was unreliable and the same observations by the Court may be taken to apply to the times and bearings subsequently occurring, as given in evidence by those on board.

The vessel continued on the course of south until 9 p.m. when it was altered to S.W. by W.

At midnight Flannan Islands Light, which the skipper still thought was Tiumpan Head Light, was abeam N.W. by N., distant about 5 miles. This position was stated in evidence to have been ascertained by means of a four point bearing. The course was then altered to south, and the skipper left instructions with the second hand to keep a good lookout for Rudh' Re Light and call him when it was sighted. The second hand left the bridge at 2.30 a.m. and reported to the skipper that he had seen no other lights. The boatswain, who relieved the second hand at 2.30 a.m., was given instructions by the skipper through the second hand to keep a good lookout for Rudh' Re Light and to call the skipper when he sighted it. The boatswain, however, did not sight Rudh' Re Light, but at 3.10 a.m. picked up a light on the starboard bow bearing S.W.

As to what occurred after this light had been picked up there was a serious conflict of evidence between the skipper and those on watch at the time, inasmuch as the skipper stated to the Court that he never was on the bridge after 1 a.m., whereas those on watch stated that he came on the bridge at 3. 10 a.m. when this light was first reported as having been sighted.

The Court itself is satisfied that the skipper's memory on this point was, to say the least of it, defective, and the Court is further satisfied from the whole of the evidence that he did, in fact, go on the bridge at 3.10 a.m. after the light had been sighted, and gave instructions to the boatswain, who was in charge of the watch, "To pull the ship's head towards the light and when the light was sharp on the starboard bow, to keep her like that and give him a call when we were drawing up to it". In spite of the instructions given to him, the boatswain did not call the skipper before the stranding, because he apparently considered that the necessary time for calling the skipper had not arrived. As far as the Court can understand from the evidence, the skipper made no attempt while on the bridge at 3.10 a.m., to identify the light, and appears to have thought that it was South Rona.

Had the skipper taken proper steps to identify this light, there can be little doubt that he would have identified it as the Monach Island Light, and thereby have taken the necessary step to avert the casualty.

At 5.30 a.m. the vessel struck the West Dureberg Reef, off Monach Island. The skipper immediately went on the bridge; the engine was by this time stopped. He put the engine astern and the vessel floated off the reef; the engine was then stopped again and a little later the engine was worked and the vessel manoeuvred to safety.

The vessel then lay to until daylight. in the meantime the vessel was sounded and thirteen to fifteen feet were shown in the forecastle and the forehold, and a trickle of water into the fishroom. The hand pump was put on but was found to have no effect in reducing the amount of water, so the engineroom pump was used. Shortly after the stranding the skipper ordered a sounding with the hand lead, which showed 19 fathoms. Soundings and bearings of the light were frequently taken and on the first opportunity an S.O.S. message was sent.

The Court believes the evidence of the second hand, the engineer's deposition, and the evidence of other members of the crew that the vessel, while manoeuvring to get clear of the reef, touched something the second time, although this was denied by the skipper.

In the opinion of the Court this latter occurrence was not a serious matter and the Court does not attribute any blame to the skipper for it.

At daylight on the 11th December, 1934, in answer to S.O.S. calls, the trawler "Henry Hall" arrived on the scene and stood by, and the s.t. "Dane" proceeded to Obb of Harris for the necessary repairs to enable her to proceed to Fleetwood, which she afterwards did and arrived at Fleetwood on the 17th December, 1934.

During the course of the Inquiry the evidence showed that no one on board the vessel, other than the skipper, had access to the charts. This, apparently, is in accordance with the prevailing custom on trawlers of this type, but in the opinion of the Court, it is very desirable that the second hand or other person for the time being in charge of the watch, should be able to have ready access to the charts, and the Court recommends that this change of practice should be adopted and enforced in future.

The Court further suggests that, in order to enable this change of practice to be carried into effect, it is desirable that a second set of charts should be provided for the vessel and be in charge of the second hand, so that access thereto could be obtained by those requiring it, without disturbing the skipper.