Birth Pl
Date/ Scource
. . . . . . . .
PAPPER WILLIAM 1869 RISING SUN H481 Hull Apprentice 1881 Cl aged 15 - Joined 29 Apr 1881 - drowned North Sea Jan 1882 / 1 bundle of wearing apparel
PAPPER WILLIAM 14? RISING SUN H481 Hull Cook 01 Jan 1883 Drowned / Murdered
. . . 83 Chiltern St, Newington, Yorks . . . .
1881 Census - 83 Chiltern St - Newington Yorks,
Joseph PAPPER Head 38 Male M Walton, Hertford, England Coal Porter (Hv)
Mary PAPPER Wife 47 Female M Knottingley, York, England  
William PAPPER Son 14 Male   Hull, York, England  
Mary Ann PAPPER Daur 12 Female   Hull, York, England  
Betsy PAPPER Daur 5 Female   Hull, York, England  
Ulir PAPPER Daur 4 Female   Hull, York, England  



. . . . . . . .

PAPPER - WILLIAM - 14 On December 17th 1881 William Papper  (14 ) set sail with the Rising Sun having been indentured for a 7 yr apprentiship in April that same year. During the time away at sea William was subjected to a course of beatings by his Skipper Osmond Otto Brand and other crew members of the smack Rising Sun H 481. It was claimed that Brand had made improper suggestions towards Williams sister of which William had told Brand, he would tell his wife.

In witness to the court William John Dench, stated that William Pappers beatings started before the vessel had left the Humber, Brand was heared saying to the boy "he would pay for telling his lies", of which Williams retort was, that he told no lies. William was continually thrashed by Brand, who would throw cold sea water over him, knock him down and while down kick him, and jump upon his stomach wearing his sea boots, he would then drag the boy along the deck. William was made to remain on deck naked, where he was mostly denied food all through christmas, at one time been given a bone the dog had finished with and some potato peelings. After several days of this treatment and after becomming very weak William was placed in the dill, which was at the bottom of the vessel, and contained three to four feet of water, and was also probably rat infested like most smacks of the day, it would be a completely dark rancid place. While in the dill Brand would jump down from a height of about three feet upon the boy, eventually when William was brought out , he was too weak to stand or even speak, where upon Brand hit him between the eyes with his fist and then jumped upon him as he lay helpless and speechless on the deck. It is alleged Brand was informed shortly after by a crew member that the frail, weak naked boy was dying " A good job too " replied Brand. Shortly after this statement William Papper died a terrible death and was thrown overboard at about 5.30am on Jan 01 1982 . Brand allegedly carried a revolver and warned the crew members that knew of the death that if they did not keep their silence he would shoot them. The following morning David Yates the deckhand after comming on deck was told by Brand that William had been knocked overboard. In his statement to the court he said Brand often threatened them with his revolver but thought it only in fun, as he often laughed. . Brand covering himself after arriving back in Hull on Jan 05, reported his death to the police, stating that on 01 Jan William was knocked overboard by the big foresail-sheet and drowned . Brand went free untill a member of his crew " William Dench " decided to tell the true story after a quarrel with Brand. When arrested Brand said he had not commited the crime alone and there where four others beside himself guilty. It was stated by Brands defence that the character of the witnesses was dubious as they had all apart from David Yates taken a hand, in some degree to the ill-treatment of William. An allegation of which Dench denied adamantly. It was claimed by the defence that Brand did not know the boy was dying and had no intention of killing him, the charge should have therefore been manslaughter. Brand having been tried for the wilful murder of William Papper at Hull assizes awaited the Judges summing up of which he said:

It is neccessary in our mercantile marine that captain`s should be invested with great authority, but it is also essential that judges and juries should step in for the purpose of seeing that such authority was not abused. If the prisoner, in the excercise of his authority, felt it his duty to punish severely, harshly, and continuously, but by an error of judgement inflicted excessive punishment and so caused the death, he would be guilty of manslaughter. ( The learned council asked the jury to adopt this view ), It seemed to the Judge however that there was no alternative but a verdict of aquittal or one of murder. The jury might disbelieve the evidence and aquit the prisoner, but if they believed it, he did not see how they could do otherwise than find him guilty of murder.

After the jury retired to consider their verdict at 3.30pm they returned after a absence of ten minutes, finding Brand guilty of wilful murder. On been asked weather he had anything to say in his defence against receiving the death penalty Brand replied " I am not guilty of wilful murder my Lord." The judge donning the black cap addressing the prisoner stated he had never heared a crime of greater atrocity. Sentence of death was then passed. With perfect composure Brand left the dock without assistance as he was led to the cells below, the crowd in the court room hissed and hooted at him as he was led away.

Frederick Rycroft was tried for assault causing actual bodily harm of which he was sentenced to three months imprisonment with hard labour. William Dench was housted from his home by the angry crowds of the fishing community and eventually Dench allegedly fled the country.

At 07.57 am on 23rd May 1882 three minutes before the given time of 8.00 am the black flag was raised on the tower of Armley Gaol Leeds to signify the hanging and death of Osmond Otto Brand for the murder of William Papper. It was said that the prisoner met his doom with great firmness, his only complaint been that those who had inflicted far greater cruelty than himself escaped with impunity.